Creating a Zoom Meeting
Zoom meetings can be created through D2L integration or through elgin-edu.zoom.us. Because integration in D2L requires the extra step of confirming that a ECC email is in use, the preferred method of access is through elgin-edu.zoom.us.
Creating a Meeting
- Go to elgin-edu.zoom.us
- Click “Sign In” and use your ECC credentials. The page is our AccessECC logon page, so it should look familiar.
- Select Schedule a New Meeting.
- Enable Meeting Options:
- Topic: In this field give your meeting a title. It is recommended that the name be specific, e.g First Meeting - Fall 2019 versus First Meeting.
- Description (Optional): In this field add an optional description for the meeting.
- When: Select the date and time of the meeting in this field.
- Duration: Select the approximate duration of the meeting. The duration is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
- Time Zone: The default timezone will match the hosts computer time zone. This can be changed by selecting a different timezone from the dropdown.
- Registration: This field is unchecked by default and should remain unchecked for use with classes. This feature is used for stand-alone Zoom sessions (like webinars).
- Meeting ID: It is not recommended that instructors use their Personal Meeting ID for class meetings. Personal Meeting IDs do not change so using this ID for a class meeting potentially allows users from outside the class to access the session.
- Meeting Password: Although not recommended, hosts can set a meeting password. Joining participants will be required to input this password before being allowed to join the selected meeting.
- Video: This field allows the host to decide if participant video is enable by default or disabled. Participants can enable/disable video manually after entry regardless of default.
- Audio: It is recommended that Both (the default) be selected. Doing so allows participants the option of using computer or phone audio to participate in the meeting.
- Meeting Options
Note: Passwords can be a maximum of 10 characters long and are case sensitive. If using special characters it is recommended that only @ *_- be used.
- Enable join before host (enabled by default): Leaving this option enabled allows users to enter the room before the host.
- Mute participants upon entry (enabled by default): Enabling this option mutes all participants upon entry. Participants can unmute themselves after joining.
- Enable Waiting Room: Selecting this option allows the instructor (host) to control when participants join the meeting. This option should be selected if Zoom meetings are set up for Office Hours. This allows instructors to admit students one by one into the meeting.
- Only authenticated users can join: Selecting this option is not recommended as it restricts access to only users with accounts. Currently students do not have Zoom accounts.
- Record the Meeting Automatically: Select this option to start the recording of the room automatically. The host may also start the recording manually after entering the room. Once selected determine where the recording should be stored. If stored in the cloud, a link to the recording will be sent to the host after the meeting ends and the video has processed. This link can be added to a D2L course or otherwise shared.
Note: Videos stored in the Zoom Cloud are only available for 120 days.